MJLJ Program locks up

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

boostedmini

MJLJ Program locks up

Post by boostedmini »

Hi all,

I have my car running, now to cut a long story short, i have done a full engine rebuild (mini turbo A series) and for the MJLJ the onlt chance is a new bracket for the crank sensor (same spot as before)
now i am using a different laptop than previously and for some reason after around 5 seconds or so of engine running the screen and the MJLJ program just locks up - freezes. i am running V3.2.1.

I think it must be PC related, however i do not have any problems running other programs on the PC, I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no change to operation.

any thoughts?

thanks

Grant

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

It's likely the problem is either around

1) USB-Serial adapter driver issues. If using a USB-Serial adapter, try updating to the latest driver, test with a different adapter, or a computer with a built-in serial port
2) Display drivers. The 3D graphics on the tuning screen sometimes causes heartburn with certain display hardware / drivers. try updating the display driver to the latest.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

boostedmini

Post by boostedmini »

thanks for the feedback as always Brent,

SO i have swapped cables and updated the graphics card but still no luck, I have never used this old laptop on the car before, lets call it (PC1), i got this as a second hand unit, so i thought i would try my work laptop (call it PC2) it is on Windows 7 and i can see the prolific adapter in the device manager on com9 but the megajolt still gives me a timeout reading run time data. I did have a few issues loading the MJLJ program on it so maybe i need to reload it again and test.
now i used to use my old work laptop (calll it PC3) Laptop when the car was last on the road and never really had a problem, I might see if work still has this PC and if i can use it for testing.

however this does not explain why my PC1 laptop is still locking up when the engine is running.

any other thoughts?

Grant

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Does it never lock up with the engine off?

If so, that's been observed before with ignition / electrical noise affecting the USB-Serial adapter electronics. This particular case was solved by physically distancing the USB-Serial adapter *away* from the engine- in this case, adding an extension cable. Wacky, I know.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

boostedmini

Post by boostedmini »

Ok

soooo this could be very spot on, as i have just put the motor back in the car to just get it running to ensure all is well before i put the engine on the engine dyno etc and i have not mounted the MJLJ ECU in its normal place as i was to put it all back out again for Dyno, s it is only sitting on the windscreen scuttle........hhhmmm

I will move it tonight and retest.

fingers xed.

Grant

boostedmini

Post by boostedmini »

well no luck,

same thing all ok while engine is not running, can adjust anything and everything for long periods of time, played for 10 mins minimmum.
as soon as i started the car 5 or seconds and bam froze MJLJ program, would not restor communication and had to reboot PC twice before it would work again.

I will try again with another cable and report back.

any other thoughts?

thanks again Grant

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

What spark plugs are you using with the megajolt system? They should be resistive. Non-resistive spark plugs can cause interference and it may be what your experiencing, but that isn't for certain.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

boostedmini

Post by boostedmini »

I am using BP7ES plugs and have done for ages with the MJLJ.
I will try resistor plugs tonight.

just dont understand as it all used to work ok, that is why i think it could be the laptop.

thanks

Grant

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Hav.en't ever used resistor plugs on my v3 install,3 years running

boostedmini

Post by boostedmini »

Ok, So i fitted Resistor plugs and swapped to my original cable and it works, however it does occasionally lock up, but i think it is the PC not the MJLJ software.

Thanks for all your help guys (especially Brent) it is appreciated, this Forum is one of if not the best for getting clear and great help, its a credit.

Grant

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

DannyP wrote:Hav.en't ever used resistor plugs on my v3 install,3 years running
Some people do need them, some don't. I can't put my finger on why but I'm guessing makes too much interference on some systems. I have noticed some systems like boostedmini's initially doesn't but then some how does require resistive plugs in the future, as can be seen.

I guess the morale of the story is to use resistive plugs in the first place. I do for one!!

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

boostedmini wrote:Ok, So i fitted Resistor plugs and swapped to my original cable and it works, however it does occasionally lock up, but i think it is the PC not the MJLJ software.

Thanks for all your help guys (especially Brent) it is appreciated, this Forum is one of if not the best for getting clear and great help, its a credit.

Grant
My computer sometimes locks up too using 'squirts megatune. I put mine down to the Computer system but its not much of hindrance and isn't very often.

Glad we got somewhere near the bottom of it. :wink:

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Glad you sorted it out. I do remember how much help I got at the beginning before I got a clue!

These unique installs and all the differences in computers and cables makes for a pot luck of end results. You never know how it is going to go. I had a weird glitch through my turn signal circuit and rewired the whole system to get rid of it. The ignition would cut out for a second when you first moved the turn lever. Rewired it and glitch is gone. So it goes to show that you never know how or why these things go the way they do.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thank you for being persistent! It might've come down to interference on the USB-Serial adapter you were using. In any case, resistor plugs should work just fine for you.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter