EDIS 8 in 4 Cylinder Applications

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

dr.occa

EDIS 8 in 4 Cylinder Applications

Post by dr.occa »

Since the EDIS-8 has 4 coil out puts, wouldn't this allow for a "true" sequential ignition using coil packs in a 4 cylinder set-up?

If so, would you still have to set the VR sensor at the prescribed 50° after the missing tooth or would it be at 90° per an EDIS-4 setup? I'm inclined towards the 50°.

Anyone?

Also: is it true that the EDIS-8 is prone to intermittent signal inconsistencies at and above 7000rpm?
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

FORD EDIS 8 FIRING ORDER:

Coil 1 -> 1&6

Coil 2 -> 3&5

Coil 3 -> 4&7

Coil 4 -> 2&8

The cylinders in bold are in the same firing order as the 4AG (as well as countless other 4 cylinder motors) distributor firing order.
Last edited by dr.occa on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

cng1

Re: EDIS 8 in 4 Cylinder Applications

Post by cng1 »

dr.occa wrote:
Also: is it true that the EDIS-8 is prone to intermittent signal inconsistencies at and above 7000rpm?
EDIS-8 tops out at 7000rpm maximum, less on some models. If you have a 4-cyl that you want to rev highly EDIS-8 is not what you want.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Correct, I had noted that in my initial post.

It's a real shame on that. :cry:
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Mind you I have read (not from practical experience) some EDIS 4's wont rev past around 7400 RPM on a good day, not that I would take my engine that far!!!!
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

cng1

Post by cng1 »

It very much depends on the model. We typically see EDIS-4 modules on our testbench going some way past 8000rpm. From memory 8400rpm is where we generally see them top out.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

When you say bench testing, I'm guessing that is not on a running engine but with VR simulator software/hardware. Not trying to dispell your working out, just interested on how you came to that value for interest sake???
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

cng1

Post by cng1 »

No "simulator" here. We have a "proper" testbench that allows us to spin trigger wheels up beyond 25000 rpm. The bench has EDIS-4, EDIS-6 and EDIS-8 connectors and modules so that we can quickly compare a test module to a known one. There is also an ECU, optical tachometer, timing light, independent rev counters taking feeds from ECU+EDIS modules, 4 coil packs split between the modules, a throttle body+sensor allows us to adjust "load" on TPS ECUs under test, a sringe and piece of hose does the same for MAP systems.

In parallel with the EDIS setup is a second crank sensor and an LM1815 based decoder circuit which allows us to better view trigger wheel compatability and do things like http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d25.html
Our digital oscilliscope typically also gets hooked up too.

When we've tested EDIS rev limits in the past everything is hooked up just as it would in a running engine, when you increase revs everything is fine till you hit the limit, at which point sparks stop, both the rev counters drop out. You drop a couple of hundred RPM below the limit and everything syncs back up and the rev counters, sparks and megajolt configurator all go back to normal. Repeat till you get bored.
www.trigger-wheels.com

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Is the limitation due to the EDIS module(s) or the VR Sensor(s) or both? Would amplifying the VR signal enable reaching rpms of 9K and above?

And back to the original subject, is the EDIS-8 a viable option for sequential ignition as I "postulated ;)"?
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

cng1

Post by cng1 »

The limitation is purely the EDIS modules. We have tested the LM1815 circuit with the standard ford sensors to 28000 rpm without issue!
www.trigger-wheels.com

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

I see.

So my next question would be; how would one go about incorporating the LM1815 with the MJLJ in order to see upwards of 9k and above in the rpm range? Is the method available to lay users like myself?
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Would the ZealDB1-K VR conditioner daughterboard which employs 2 LM1815 ICs be a compatible option for our Megajolts for such a task?
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

cng1

Post by cng1 »

VR conditioning circuits will do you no good at all as the issue is the EDIS module which is a sealed unit. If you want to run 9k+ then wait for Megajolt2 which does away with the EDIS module.
www.trigger-wheels.com

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

^^ In addition to Megajolt2, the next prototype hardware design will be the Megajolt/C "Coil on Plug"- specifically designed to work with coil packs having built in drivers (or use an external driver board). Targeting 8 outputs and dual VR sensor inputs for cam synchronization.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

brentp wrote:^^ In addition to Megajolt2, the next prototype hardware design will be the Megajolt/C "Coil on Plug"- specifically designed to work with coil packs having built in drivers (or use an external driver board). Targeting 8 outputs and dual VR sensor inputs for cam synchronization.
I took a quick refresher course on the various MJ road maps brent. I'm looking forward to all of them. Would the MJ COP be capable of sequential firing or still batch/waste spark firing?
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com